Written up?

The sooner you prepare for your proceedings the better! If you are written up or have concerns regarding pending judicial proceedings either on or off campus, contact the SAO at PCStudentAdvocate@gmail.com. Your inquiry will be responded to promptly.

Members of the SAO will work quickly to ensure that you understand your charges and their potential consequences. By educating yourself on the disciplinary system, the SAO can guide you towards gaining more control over the situation.

If your judicial hearing has already concluded and you are not happy with the result, the SAO can help you determine if you have legitimate grounds for appeal. To date, the SAO has helped with over 15 appeals.


If there is reason to believe that you are going to be written up, remain calm and keep quiet. Anything that you say to an RA, regardless of your relationship with him/her, can be recorded in the formal write-up and used against you in a judicial hearing.

If you are written up on campus, you will be notified of the alleged charges brought against you and given 48-hrs notice of a scheduled hearing that you must attend.

You are allowed the following rights throughout judicial proceedings:

  1. You have a right to view the reports and/or write-ups that serve as the evidence for the alleged charge(s) brought against you prior to your hearing. Take advantage of this opportunity so that you know what to expect and can prepare for your meeting.
  2. You have the right to have a judicial advisor, who must be employed by the college, accompany you to your hearing. Advisors range from a professor to a fellow classmate. Utilizing this option will help to ensure that someone is advocating for you and may promote fairness in all proceedings.
  3. You have a right to appeal. If you feel as though you were wrongfully sentenced or mistreated during your judicial proceedings, appeal the decision and use the resources around you to help make your case.

Remember, any disciplinary sanction that you may receive during your time at PC will go on your permanent record. Your record can be accessed by law schools, medical schools or any other graduate school that you may choose to pursue after graduating. By treating your judicial experience seriously and not as something that you just want to get over with, you are safeguarding potential opportunities of your future. Know your rights and use the resources of those around you to help advocate for yourself.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: