Additional Resources

If you are in need of a private attorney for a criminal matter, please contact the SAO for a referral.

If you cannot afford a private attorney, contact the RI Office of the Public Defender at:

J. Joseph Garrahy Complex
One Dorrance Plaza
Providence, Rhode Island 02903
(District Courts for Providence/Bristol and Providence Family Court)
Main Phone Number 458-3050

If you are discriminated against by any individual employed by Providence College contact:
Office of Civil Rights,
U.S. Department of Education

Students who need assistance or who wish to file a complaint under FERPA  should do so in writing to the Family Policy Compliance Office at:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920

If you feel as through your rights have been compromised on campus, submit your case to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education( or contact:
Peter Bonilla
Program Officer, Individual Rights Defense Program
Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE)
Phone: 215-717-3473

Caught Underage Drinking?

Alcohol Transport Program

The alcohol transport policy at Providence College is counter-productive and potentially creates the risk that a student who needs medical attention will not seek it because 1) they do not want to be sanctioned by the College and 2) they do not want to owe hundreds of dollars in ambulance fees.

When a student is transported, he/she must sign a form giving PC consent to access the records that will say he/she was treated for “intoxication.” As a result, the Office of Student Conduct will almost always charge the student with an alcohol violation. In September 2007, the Committee on Campus Culture, Conduct, and Civility (CCCC), a group established by Father Shanley vested with the responsibility of addressing alcohol issues on campus, suggested the opinion for which there was “modest support” that “students transported to the hospital for alcohol intoxication should be granted  amnesty from discipline.” Since the submission of this opinion, the College has done nothing to address alcohol transports.

It is the responsibility of the SAO to look out for the best interests of all students, a main reason why the SAO runs a free-ride policy. If you or one of your friends has had too much to drink and may be in need of immediate medical attention, contact the SAO. You will be provided with a free cab voucher, so you or your friend can go get any needed treatment without having to worry about the hospital divulging your record to the school.

Providence College has no business of knowing what your medical treatment for a visit to the ER consists of. An individual’s right to privacy is established through HIPAA and needs to be respected at Providence College. PC employees would be the first to hide behind FERPA in a sticky situation, and we do not need students in their dorm room throwing up blood or bile and not seeking help because they don’t want to get in trouble with the College.

The SAO has been in contact with many students who have experienced a night where either himself or herself or a friend needed to go to a hospital but did not, primarily because of fear of getting the individual in trouble. When a student is sick and needs help, there should be no factor of hesitation; this is beyond a disciplinary matter. Providence College needs to put the health and safety of students first.

Posted in Blog. 2 Comments »